Sunday, April 19, 2009

My reflections

ES2007S ended abruptly for me. I was not able to go for the last class on Friday, I was sick from the hot weather. I had to drag myself to school for a test in school on Friday. Anyway, Es2007S really passed very fast.

I thought that there was no better time for me to take this module. The research report was due 2 weeks before my honors year final report was due. My group's presentation was just 2 days before my honors year final presentation. To top it off, I was just sending out the resume and coverletter that I submitted for jobs during the weekend. I would actually recommend all graduating students take this module, just like in my group's presentation we suggested a compulsory "green" module. I want to point out, off my head, some great knowledge I had learnt from this module.

I thought that the 7Cs were effective guidelines to have in mind when I am writing anything, even this. The presentation skills that were discussed were extremely helpful to me in formulating my presentation and how/ what I want to deliver my message. I personally feel that when we are presenting, we want to present as many things as possible so we look more intelligent. However, that is not the case, the audience would probably be too overwhelmed to understand what is going on. I guess when we are presenting something, we need to consider what exactly we want to tell the audience and keep the presentation as simple and concise as possible. Like how one of my professors will end his lecture, he will use a "take home message". I think thats the most important use of a presentation, the audience learning something.

I felt that the report writing was a interesting experience although the data collection period was quite limited. Role-playing different authorities and groups to finally churn out the report was very effective because, I think, its important to consider the requirements or limitations of the various sides in a research study. I believe this would help me in the future.

Lastly, I want to thank Brad for sharing his experiences with us. It was quite fortunate for having someone who is so well-travelled to share his experiences.
Right, Mr National Geographic.

7 comments:

  1. Dear Elvin,

    Sorry to hear that you were sick on Friday. You did miss a fun class. Just like in your case, this module helped in my FYP thesis, presentation and the whole process of job application. I definitely agree that all graduating students must take this module. All the best to you Elvin. Hope you manage to secure a job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your final reflection, Elvin. It sounds as if you had a very heavy load this term. Congratulations in surviving it and no doubt thriving from the experience. I can see that you consider that the course was useful. That makes me feel like ES2007S is relevant to student needs.

    I appreciate all the work you did this term, both individually and as a member of a very effective group. Best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey project mate,

    Hope you are feeling better now!

    I agree that this is an extremely useful module which prepares undergraduates when going out into the society. Be it writing or interacting with individuals from different background, the communication skills we learnt from this module will help to build a better relationship with others.

    Here's wishing you all the best in whatever you do!

    cheers
    Evelia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shucks!

    I didn't know that I needed to reply to my comments. I thought I only needed to post comments on others' posts. This is my first and probably only reply to comment. I really didn't know until I am filling up the e-portfolio self-assessment right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Elvin

    Wow! This semester really was a hectic one for you right? Well, the end is near so all the best with the remaining few weeks and your last exams in NUS. I certainly agree with you that this module helped a lot and the experience/knowledge gained from the past twelve weeks would prove to be invaluable in the long run. Anyway, great to have known you and best of luck in achieving your future goals!

    Cheers,
    ws

    P.S. can you add me on Facebook so that I can invite you to join our Group 9 Facebook group? My email is wuweisiong@yahoo.com or just search for my name, Chew Wee Siong. Thanks and see you on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Elvin,

    I didn't get any chance to work with you in our ES2007s lessons, but I must say I was really impressed by your presentation! You were such a funny presenter and shown the humerous side of you that most of us havent got a chance to see.

    Well I'm glad your done with this hectic semester!All the best to your future studies!

    shiHui

    ReplyDelete