Sunday, April 19, 2009

My presentation

I was glad that the ES2007s presentation was over but I had another blow coming. After my presentation on Tuesday, I will be having my honors project final presentation on Thursday. It was going to be a no-nonsense presentation where 3 professors sit in front of you and listen to you and after you finish, they bombard you with questions and try to make it really difficult for you.

I am not trying to scare anyone but it was the worst half hour of my life. Alright, back to my presentation on Tuesday. Interestingly, I had always thought that I was a confident speaker but I wasn't. I have stage fright. When I was in the army, as a BMTC instructor, I was occasionally required to lecture in front of a 200 recruits lecture room and I won't fret. However, whenever I was presenting in NUS, my hands were probably as cold as the recruits that were afraid of me in army. I was quite nasty to the recruits, possibility a retribution now that I get cold feet standing in front of 15 students presenting.

I think its probably different, I later realised. In army, I am superior to the recruits and they usually don't question. However, in NUS, everyone of us are equal and we generally like to quesiton. Although it may sound straightforward and blaringly obvious, I took awhile to realise that I can't present. I had practised a lot more before the presentation on Tuesday, so that helped tremendously. I had also practised a lot for my honors project presentation, to be exact, I went over it in my room about ten times and that helped me curb with the cold feet. Finally, I hope you all liked our presentation and Banksy is just awesome.

A sidenote on Banksy. In some cities in France, if I didn't remember wrongly, his graffiti are washed away the next morning and he is considered a nuisance. However, in some cities in Europe out of France, people tear out his graffiti off walls and they are auctioned for a reasonable sum. So much for the interpretation of art.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Elvin! I'm glad you go to this. The only problem with it being late is your classmates haven't had a chance to comment. In any case, it's an interesting and healthy reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elvin,
    I am in time to comment! First, constructive criticisms. :) Some slides had backgrounds which are quite distracting, also there could have been more eye contact. Now for the compliments! You were definitely loud enough and your words came out natural and smooth. When you were talking about what you're interested it, it was very engaging as well. Good job overall!

    ReplyDelete