Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Evaluating Intercultural Behaviors

Here is my post on evaluating intercultural behaviors. With no idea what to write, I look into my moldy sociology textbook, a module which I took years ago. Chapter Three, Culture, flipping on, a huge word came up to me, “ethnocentrism”.

In India, the cow is a religious symbol of life so no one would slaughter cattle and eat beef. Cows are allowed to loiter the streets freely, defecate anywhere, eat grass in the middle of the road whilst the traffic halts for it to finish. In fact, using “it” here may sound a little disrespectful, I think. The state also funds homes for aged and sickly cows. Moreover, police stations come accompanied with fields for abandoned cows to stay. All these money is spent amidst the poverty and hunger in India. Most westerners will think that they must be crazy; to some, beef may be considered their staple food.

However, cherishing cows turns out to be an economically rational practice in rural India. Cows have multiple uses besides giving us beef. In farming areas, cows provide the strength to plow the land, cow manure can be used as fertilizers and even cooking fuel. Farmers there cannot afford synthetic fertilizers, large powerful tractors or even cooking gas, so preserving cows makes the most sense. Not to mention, cows provide us with milk. Furthermore, those qualified to dispose or eat dead cattle are the lowest ranking in their caste system, “untouchables”, which also includes myself since I am quite into beef. Therefore, considering the benefits one can get from cows, cow worship in India makes perfect sense economically.

So what is “ethnocentrism”? It is something that most of us are guilty of. As you are reading, you are thinking “beef tastes so good, how come they don’t eat it” then you are guilty of it. Ethnocentrism is judging someone else’s culture with the standards of your own culture, you have probably committed it when you compare other cultures to your own, more so, if you had criticized them.

Lastly, I have one recent personal experience to share. Last week, I asked my friend from India if he wanted anything from Mcdonald’s since I was ordering Mcdelivery. He said he loves to eat Big Mac, he has been eating it since he arrived in Singapore last year. He stopped eating Big Mac after I told him why they didn’t serve it in Mcdonald’s in India.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Elvin, for this discussion of the place of cows in India, ethnocentrism and the short note about your Indian friend. This is an entertaining post. It's a bit amazing to me though that the fellow you mention has been eating Big Macs without knowing they are made with beef. Is that possible?

    I agree that in fact most of us have our ethnocentric moments. But I'm not so sure that it's just a matter of "you have probably committed it when you compare other cultures to your own, more so, if you had criticized them." Take the attitude that Nazi Germans had (have, for neo-Nazis) that Jews were inferior. If I criticize that attitude, am I being ethnocentric because in my culture the sense that Jews no more than any other ethnic group as a people are inferior is a basic value. In other words, can't I criticize the Nazi beliefs without being castigated as ethnocentric?

    Here's another example, from India. Traditionally, Indians who have supported the caste system and saw themselves as "high caste" saw certain people as "untouchables" (as you mention). Those in that position (actually, below all castes), had very few oppotunities in life compared to their countrymen. If I criticize a system in which people are bound by the limits of "caste," am I being ethnocentric? (Even Mahatma Gandhi criticized the caste system!)

    In short, it's a bit more complex than your analysis allows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello elvin,
    I could almost relate to your post immediately after watching this movie call “Slumber Millionaire” yesterday, which focus on the living habitat in India. One scene which caught me by surprise was when a riot was started with this bunch of Indian killing and hacking another group of Indians while screaming: “they are Muslim, kill them!”

    So not all Indians avoid beefs after all, there seems to be another group which considered themselves as Muslims. So I guess something new here for all of us to find out!

    And about your friend, I’m so sorry to hear that. Hope he is alright now!

    shihui

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh so sorry a little correction here, the flim is call "Slumdog Millionaire"!

    shihui

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elvin

    Your example of cows in India reminded me of an incident which I knew. Apparently, should a cow lie in the middle of the road in India, one should not try to remove the cow. The correct response is to stop your vehicle and wait for the cow to move when it feels like it. I think ethnocentrism is a very complex term that is highly debatable. It would be interesting if you could present some ideas or concepts underlying ethnocentrism in your future posts.

    Duane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elvin,

    I am here to criticise you. Why did you keep quiet most of the time when you are such a humorous speaker! I truly enjoyed your presentation. I recall you suggesting inter-hall competition and the prize could be covered walkway! I really did not see that coming at all. (: On top of your good sense of humour, you appeared natural and spoke fluently. I think the only thing to really criticise you is that you did not look at me. Perhaps in your next presentation you could give more people attention. Don’t let them feel left out of the fun alright.

    Regards,
    Moses

    ReplyDelete
  6. With regards to you group presentation, seriously, I have no constructive comments. I think it was the best in our group. I really wish I had video-taped it down. Great job guys and Evelia. ahaha (:

    ReplyDelete